Storm-based or polygon alerts help reduce false alarms by alerting you to severe weather based on your exact location within a county. Most other apps and sources still use county-based alerts (meaning you'd get an alert even if your location in the county is not within the threatened area).
What people are saying:
• Storm Shield "alerted our family of the Broken Arrow, OK tornado, faster than the TV and tornado sirens." - Robyn, Broken Arrow, OK resident
• "I was in Oklahoma City during the tornado... we were right in its path. Your app literally was a life saver." - dcalk12
Additional features include:
• Get NOAA alerts no matter where you are in the United States.
• See Hurricane and Tropical Storm forecast tracks from the National Weather Service (NWC).
• See where NOAA watches and warnings are issued by switching between map overlays.
• Save five additional locations to make sure friends and family at home, work, or out of state stay safe.
• Voice alerts can wake you in the middle of the night or give you information when you can't stop to look at your phone.
• School Closings for Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Tulsa and Buffalo.
• Watch live video streams when available (usually during local coverage of severe weather in Scripps TV markets, listed below).
• Current Conditions, 7-Day Forecast, and Hourly Forecasts
• View weather photos and submit your own weather photos (available for Scripps television and newspaper markets).
• Share a view of your map screen to let friends and family know where severe weather is happening, especially if it affects their location.
• Storm Shield uses iOS Location Services to balance location accuracy and battery life.
• Turn off Location Tracking and instead set one of your five locations to where you are most often.
• You can throttle up or down Storm Shield's Location Tracking to balance location accuracy and battery life.
Storm Shield is made possible by The E.W. Scripps Company, including WCPO Cincinnati, KNXV ABC15 Phoenix, WEWS Newsnet5 Cleveland, WXYZ Detroit, KJRH Tulsa, KMGH ABC7 Denver, KGTV ABC10 San Diego, KERO 23 Bakersfield, WMAR ABC2 Baltimore, WFTS ABCActionNews Tampa, WPTV News Channel 5 West Palm Beach, WRTV RTV6 The IndyChannel Indianapolis, KSHB 41 Action News Kansas City, WKBW Buffalo.
Get tips, updates and more on our Storm Shield Facebook page.
Visit our support page for FAQs.
Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
- Version 2.7.6
- Created & Sold by E.W. Scripps Company
- Released on May 22, 2012
- File Size: 25 MB
- Age Rating: 12+
- Category Weather